Wednesday 12 March 2014

Thirteenth Post: Stats

Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
Overall 3.9% mortality rate of bulimia.
1.1 to 4.2% of women have bulimia at some point in their lives.
50-75% of calories are typically absorbed before purging (this is bull, I bet, they're just trying to make us stop by targeting our biggest fear - fat)
The average bulimic vomits 11 times a week (I'm so much more than that)
80% of 'recovered' bulimics relapse within 3 months.
Without treatment, mortality rate escalates to 20%.
90% of cases are female.
Nearly totally prevalent in Caucasian people only.
Most bulimics are normal weight, making it difficult to detect.
The youngest known case of bulimia is 6, however is is extremely rare to develop under the age of 13
(I was 12, so extremely rare....)
Also, genetics can contribute to ED....personally my grandmother is anorexic, my aunt was anorexic and I'm bulimic...we covered all three generations.
There's a very high chance I'll commit suicide statistically because abuse + bulimia + cutting all ups your chances a loooot...

So how do you like your chances?
Personally, I'm not too pleased. It's really hard to recover. Why can't we just eat all we want and not gain weight? Ha, nope.
-Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment